It’s common knowledge among business owners and sales professionals that if you don’t have people to speak with about your services or products that you’ll soon be out of a business or out of a job. Learning how to become a master in the arts of lead generation is an incredible asset for any Entrepreneur but the key is in setting up multiple lead generation funnels that you can set and forget.
Passive methods of lead generation won’t require your constant attention which can free you up to actually build your business.
Passive Vs. Active Lead Generation
Passive lead generation methods (to me) are simple campaigns, that any Entrepreneur can get running with little to no investment, no recurring investment and minimal amounts of time invested for exposure that lasts at least 30 days or more.
- Business Cards
- Flyer Distribution
- Video Marketing
- Vehicle Decals
- Bulletin Boards
- Local Magazines
- Local Newspapers
- Local Internet Sites
- Consumer Directories
- Business Directories
- Local Event Sponsorships
Active lead generation methods (to me) are complex campaigns, that not every Entrepreneur can get running without the help of professionals and a much larger budget. OR you become an expert in that method and we both know Entrepreneurs are tight on time.
- Search Engine Optimization
- Email Marketing
- Radio Advertising
- Television Advertising
- National Magazines
- National Newspapers
- Call Centers
If you don’t have the budget for “Active” lead generation budgets (most Entrepreneurs don’t!) then you’ve got to be looking in the “passive” group for methods that will apply nicely to your business, service or products.
Here is one FACT we can present to you about lead generation. Do Nothing… You’ll Get Nothing! If you’re reading this article, you’re a business owner or salesperson who wants to DO SOMETHING to ensure you’ve always got a fresh supply of targeted leads for your offer.
Lead Generation Tools You’ll Need
- Your Targeted Offer – This is where many Entrepreneurs get it wrong. If you want someones contact details you need to provide them with VALUE first. They must believe you are someone who is providing something that may help them. The easiest way to create an offer is to have some sort of a “give-a-way”. You could write a short, simple report on your product, service or opportunity. A report that addresses some of the problems people may experience that your service or product provides a solution too. Whatever your offer is it must reinforce in your prospects mind that you are an expert in your field, and you’re genuinely trying to help them.
- Lead Capture Pages or Squeeze Pages – Your lead capture page is where you’ll be showcasing your targeted offer, in exchange for your prospects details. This is probably the most important part of your lead generation funnel because it’s your prospects entry point. When somebody responds to one of your passive advertising methods we want them to come and visit this page. It’s important to have this page created by a professional so you get the best conversion rates that you can and they can help you craft a targeted offer that will look attractive to your visitors.
- Your Telephone – We’ve mentioned this before Autoresponder only because it’s still one of the most powerful weapons in your sales arsenal. When you are using your own lead capture pages the leads you receive will be in Real Time so it’s important to follow up with these prospects immediately… Strike while the Iron is hot! Following up with your prospects quickly is key, don’t rely on Autoresponders alone.
- An Autoresponder System – While you shouldn’t be relying on Autoresponders to make the sales for you, they are definitely an asset when it comes to keeping you in front of your prospects over lengthy periods of time. After your prospect submits their information to your capture page you can continually drip information to them with your Autoresponder. Daily, Weekly or Monthly emails can be sent on a schedule for continual followup.
Setting Up Your Passive Lead Generation Campaigns
To really be successful with lead generation the easiest analogy I can come with that people understand is to liken it to the commercial fishing industry… Seriously!
When you want to go out for a fun day with the family, some of you may hit a lake or a stream with a fishing rod, catch a few fish and have a good day. The commercial guys couldn’t survive if they only had one rod or a 2’x 2′ square net to catch a few fish… Right…? So instead, they catch as many fish as they can by casting WIDE nets or fishing with multiple lines. You should be doing the same.
If you just concentrate on one of these methods, there is little chance you’ll see any success, you may get a few leads but you won’t be prospect rich yet. Taking it to the next level would be to employ at least 5 or 6 methods of passive lead generation to your business. The more “streams” of traffic you have or “ponds to fish in” the more fruitful your efforts will be.
Here Are The Passive Lead Generation Methods I Strongly Recommend:
It doesn’t matter what kind of business you’re promoting these methods of promotion are inexpensive, they are easy to implement so anyone can do them and they flat out work when applied consistently.
- Business Cards – The most basic tool, every Entrepreneur should have them… Please don’t design your own, have a professional do it. Place your web address for your capture page on the card. Hand them out to everyone you actually meet… Don’t employ the 3 foot rule handing them out to everyone breathing… Only give them to people who may want them, having a nice, professional, even unique card will help people remember you when they need you.
- Vehicle Decals -If you’re a local business or a professional service provider in your community this is a MUST. Vehicle decals are inexpensive and when done by professionals they look great and help build credibility in your brand. Think of how many miles you drive in a day, week or year. Do you read other peoples vehicle decals…? I know I always do… Enough Said.
- Bulletin Boards – This might sound cheesy, but they do work. In fact, I’ve gotten $2500 website design and marketing clients through community bulletin boards, pay careful attention to the ones around your community and get a flyer of some sort on each one. If you don’t do it, it won’t work either.
- Video Marketing – You don’t necessarily have to record yourself, you could hire somebody to do a screen recording for you or a slide presentation that helps sell your services. The video(s) can be uploaded to sites like YouTube and tagged with your keywords. Once you’ve uploaded the video it’s there until you delete it, always working for you, helping bring new visitors to your sites and building online credibility for your business.
Every single passive method of advertising you do MUST direct your potential prospects to a lead capture page, or provide a phone number to respond to, preferably a 1-800# with a sizzle call if your company provides one. The above methods described will cost you very little to implement and will help you start to develop a trickle of incoming prospects.
As your cashflow increases you can continue using these simple, passive methods and then slowly branch into more “Active” methods of lead generation which we’ll discuss in our next article. Never underestimate the little things you can do locally that will help you generate interest for your business or services.
If you’re a business owner or Entrepreneur who’s looking to start generating their own sales leads we can help you do 95% of the heavy lifting. We can build your lead capture pages, setup your autoresponder campaigns and help you get setup online with the tools you’ll need to generate and manage your new prospects.